Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Maiden Voyage

I did it! After years and years of biting my nails trying to figure out the ins and outs of a synopsis and query letter...I sat down about a week ago and just did it!

Most of you know I am talking about my novel. When You Least Expect It. This novel is my sweat and tears. I love this novel. I loved writing it...love reading it, and ok, loved living it. It's a part of me. The part of me that dreams. The part of me that hopes for something bigger. I decided it was time to try and share it with the world.

A few weeks ago, my high school/facebook friend sent me a wall post asking me whatever happened with the book. I told her about it a few years ago! It was random (or so I thought)and I kind of laughed it off, sending her a reply of, "I love you!" It's nice when people remember and ask...it makes me feel good. Two weeks later, I'm hanging out with my Whittier clan in California, and I get a text from an ex-coworker. I haven't heard from her in, oh, about a year. She asked me about my book! What had happened and if she could buy it on Amazon yet. LOL. This brought a huge smile to my lips, and deep thoughts afterwards. This was so random!! Or was it? Was God trying to tell me something. I have learned through many that there is no such thing as coincidences. I was being spoken to, and I decided I better listen.

While I was in CA, my PC crashed! It's older than dirt, yet holds my treasured novel. OH NO! But the husband assured me, he had it on back-up, so there you have it. During the week, he turned it back on for some reason, and lo and behold...it was back! Really? So, the following Saturday, while the husband was at work, I sat in front of the dinosaur and stared at the blank page. I had done this many a time where this query letter was concerned. I didn't know how to sell it, much less myself. I never got passed paragraph one. Never. Til that Saturday. I started typing and it just flowed from my fingers. It was pretty damned good. I read it a hundred times, and when I finally believed it...I cried. The excitement I felt that day was palpable. It's indescribable. When Bill got home and saw me sitting there, crying...he was so concerned. "Sandy", he asked, "what's wrong?" He got down on his knee to be ready to comfort me. "I did it," I answered. Being the awesome husband that he is, he smiled from ear to ear and said, "Your letter? You wrote your letter?" I just nodded through my tears. "I'm so proud of you!!" It was a very tender moment.

I then ran to the library to try and get the Writer's Mkt book. I knew the odds weren't with me, but felt I had to try. I have checked it out several times and always have to be on a waiting list. I even know where it is. It was minutes til closing, I ran to the spot. There it was. I almost imagined a glowing light from above shining down on it, with angels singing in my mind. The 2011 version was sitting there propped up in a book end. Coincidence? Luck? I think not. More like divine intervention.

Much drama in my life in the last week or so. I couldn't get back to it, but worked on some stuff and read that book. That excited feeling came back when I was reading about one of the agents. I don't know why. Nothing really stood out. But I felt that palpable excitement I spoke of earlier, and knew she would be my maiden voyage. I would start with The Angela Rinaldi Literary Agency. In Beverly Hills. It felt right.

I opted for an email entry. I tweaked the letter to her liking. I said everything I hoped she wanted to hear. I even tweaked the first ten pages of my book some. I copied, pasted, sweated and threw up a little. Then, I hit SEND. The worst was over...I was on my way.

I am finally ready to hear "no". I am ready to pursue this dream of mine. I am ready to know no matter what happens, at least I tried.

"Dreams are not those that you have while you are asleep . . . dreams are those that don't let you sleep until they are fulfilled."

2 comments:

  1. You go for it Sandy....Nothing is accomplished unless we DO it...and all with the Holy Spirit. Did you call Jennifer...you won't regret it..Just DO IT. Oh, sounds like that phase has been taken by Nike.

    ReplyDelete