Sunday, January 31, 2010

My daughter is 30.


As it turns out, when your kids turn a milestone age...it's kind of a milestone for the parents too.

Andrea turned 30 on Thursday. She asked me which made me feel older....being a Grandma, or my daughter turning 30. With about a 2 second pause, I said, her turning 30. Seriously, I feel like it was only yesterday that I was 30. Andrea was 8 years old, Tony was 6. We were bombarded by soccer, and girls softball...karate and pizza parties. LIfe was so busy, fun and full! My main role in life was MOM, even though I worked and was a wife. Married to Ron. My good friends at the time were Pam, Ann Higgins, and I worked at Thomas Davis. Man, that seems so long ago now that I'm writing it down. But life was good. I was happy....

As i looked at Andrea's 30 pictures, I was happy to see her....happy. With her new husband, and her new baby....she finally does have everything she never knew she always wanted. It's a work in progress though, as life always continues to be. As I watched her little video, I realized that my daughter has been through so much! Her journey has been fast and furious, with many mountains, molehills, and dips. But i raised her to be independent, self-efficient, focused and smart, and I am proud to say, she is. Okay, she's a bit out-spoken and opinionated, but what's a little diarrhea of the mouth between friends? Most people who know her either love her for it, or despite it, and that's the way it should be. Andrea is thoughtful and loving, and I really couldn't ask for a better daughter/friend. I know she has my back, and really, isn't that why we have kids? So that we get old and senile (which might be any minute for me) we have someone who will keep our best interests at heart (as opposed to theirs?)? I think so.


So today, i want to thank her for being a great daughter, one that I can be proud of, one that I can look at, look at her life and know, that I've done a good job. I also know....she's not done yet! Your thirties will be filled with new accomplishments and goals, and a whole new world of ...kid's stuff! I look forward to watching you being a team mom, cheerleader and cupcake maker....plus president of the PTA. I look forward to watching Jake flourish and continue to watch your journey through this next decade. Life is definitely a Roller Coaster ....and I embrace it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment